Wednesday 5 October 2016

EARLY PHOTOGRAPHY IN ESAN AND LAOS
(PHU TAI PEOPLE)

Among all the communities living in Laos and Esan, the Phu Tai group have a particular cultural influence, especially for molam fans. Originally, the Phu Tai people came from the actual North Vietnam where the first historical traces of the khaen were found on 2200 to 2700 years old bronze gong drum. They later relocated to Laos and Esan (a Phu Tai community can even be found in the U.S.A). Nowadays, numerous famous mo lam, musicians and luk thung singers have Phu Tai origins: Num Phutai, Monruedi Promchak or more recently Wirapong and his molam troupe: "Silapin Phu Tai".
A Phu Tai village on the hills in Laos / during a Buddhist ceremony
 Perfoming Kra top dance and molam during celebrations.
Women pounding rice / people praying with a mo kaen during rice harvest ceremonies
Phu Tai dances

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi I'm very interested in Tai Esan and all Tai history. I'm a Tai myself. May I share your photos on my page on FB? I'll mention and give credit to you of course. Sarm Pao

SAOBAO ESAN said...

Hi, Of course, feel free to email me your facebook page, I'll add it to the links section